Wednesday, October 24, 2007

FIRING OFF SOME LOOSE THOUGHTS ABOUT OUR RECENT WILDFIRES

As a resident of Stevenson Ranch (maybe you saw my house on TV lately?), I have now survived our second disastrous wildfire in our adjacent hills in four years. Troubling how many fires broke out at the exact moment we get strong, strong Santa Ana winds over So Cal...I would really like to think these fires were not man-made.
Now that they are over (translation..burned in a direction away from us, here are my loose thoughts on the situations...
Hope you faired as well as myself, and my family.
FEMA so far seems to have learned its lesson, and improved since a change of leadership at the top....they will need to be in top form, as the Daily News is estimating over 650,000 residents have been forced out of their homes during the recent fires.
How can you possibly look at these incredible displays of fires going on, refuse to obey the voluntary evacuations, in order to "save" your house....with a frickin GARDEN HOSE ??
Wake up folks, it's just not that easy...
How to know things are bad...McDonald's closed 16 of their restaurants
How to know things are really bad...Starbucks closed 120 of their locations due to the fires...
I had the water dropping airplanes fly directly over my house for two days (the yellow ones, not the mammoth DC-10's), and no exaggeration..they flew no more than 300 yards above the roof of my home (I live very close to the fires). These pilots are phenomenal......true unsung heroes!
I am not sure how my family can say thank you to our local fire station (just blocks from my home), but we are going to get with the neighbors and figure something out.
We drop off food baskets on holidays, but they need something special this time...
I cannot imagine the helpless feeling San Diegan's are feeling today with their families, knowing they lost all of their worldly possessions.........We need a Clinton / Bush Internet donation program similar to the one they so successfully ran for the tsunami victims years ago...
Things to do......
Check (up my $ coverage) my insurance coverage
Donate $ or goods to San Diego relief funds
Say thank you to our local fire and police departments
Hug my child a little tighter from now on (blog less, love more)
Be thankful


No comments: