Tuesday, February 1, 2011

H.R. 3: AT FIRST GLANCE, I APPROVE...LIBERALLY

If you are a regular, or even occasional reader to this blog, first of all thank you, and secondly, there should be no doubt in your mind where I am politically. I am just barely to the right of Jerry Rubin. But, that does not mean you can anticipate, or predict my views on any particular issue. Mere political affiliation does not, and should not lock in someones viewpoints. No, shed your labels and proclivities, and do a little research, then formulate an opinion. You never know, you might just sit on the other side of the aisle on an issue or two.....and good for you if you do. Your vote should be the result of a little critical thinking, not to mention soul searching. So, having said all of that, let me give you three of my beliefs that just might get me kicked out of a Democratic caucus.
Just being born on American land
should not automatically make you a U.S. citizen,
outstanding teachers should know they don't need tenure
and
it is categorically unfair to force all taxpayers
to pay for abortions.
Yes, it's true.
And so, while just barely skimming over the highlights of H.R. 3 introduced today in the John Boehner House of Representatives, and still meaning to read over the entire piece of legislation before making a firm commitment...I see nothing entirely wrong in the bill. I do want to fully understand their definition of "forcible," but for now, I would tend to vote aye on the bill that guarantees that no federal moneys are allocated towards giving someone an abortion, unless a victim of forcible rape, incest, or if carrying full term would risk death on the birth mother. Let's be clear...it does not, and is not intended to make abortions illegal, or take down Roe v. Wade. It just addresses the allocation of funds...your funds to provide abortions. But, read it yourself and make up your own mind.

No comments: