Sunday, October 19, 2008

ENDORSEMENT A POWELL PLAY FOR OBAMA


Former Secretary of State Colin Powell has endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president, describing the Illinois senator as a "transformational figure." Although Powell says both Obama and Republican John McCain are qualified to be commander in chief, in an interview Sunday on NBC's Meet the Press, he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve it's standing in the world.
Powell expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, as well as in his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the Republican vice presidential nominee. Powell says he does not believe Palin is ready to take over as president, if necessary. He also said he was disappointed with some of McCain's campaign tactics, such as bringing up Obama's ties to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.
"I will ultimately vote for the person I believe brings to the American people the kind of vision the American people want to see for the next four years," he said. "A vision that reaches out to the rest of the world, that starts to restore confidence in America, that starts to restore favorable ratings to America. Frankly, we've lost a lot in recent years."
Powell also said that the vice presidential picks for both candidates was a major factor in his decision, both for the quality of each man's running mate and for what sort of "signal that choice sends about the character and judgment of the candidate."

2 comments:

Papa Giorgio said...

“[T]o send that kind of a message [electing a black president], I think would be electrifying,” ~ Powell

My old boss that I did carpets with is a black man. He said he would vote for Obama as Pres because he is black. I asked him years ago if he would vote for Condoleza Rice if she ran and he said he would. I asked why, since she is opposite of him on politics. He said because she was black. Race. That's all.

By the way, Friday was my first day back at work and I got to get the feathers ruffled (its easy and fun) of my co-worker who is a Satanist and a Liberal (I have never met a conservative Satanist... and I have met a few). I first asked and agreed with her stance on anti-racial ideas. we both agreed that racism is bad, in other words. I then laid out my case that Obama went to a KKK-like church and systematically showed Obama's ties to both Black Liberation Theology and the Nation of Islam. I then said based on our previous conversation you shouldn't vote for Obama. She was pissed. I then set her up for the 90% thingy.

I said, I bet you agree with Obama's latest ad that has McCain saying that he voted with Bush 90% of the time. After I pointed out that Bush doesn't vote, I made the point that where that stat came from is one year, in 2005 McCain "voted with Bush" 77% of the time. Obama "voted with Bush" 49% of the time. But while McCain had a high of 95% once and a low of 77%, Obama had an almost 100% voting record with his party... something McCain never had. McCain, if you use these stats disagree much more with his party than Obama does with his party.

Again, she was cussing at me as I made the point that if she wants to be a lawyer she had better brush up on her arguing skills. Granted, she will probably be quid-pro-quo (did I say that right?) where she will be defending people for free in the inner city where the liberal politics will just side with her and she will have a lifetime of easy wins.

.

Kim said...

Funny, Bill Clinton basically said the same thing in North Carolina, and was painted the supreme racist.

If you are looking for supporting evidence as to the black vote, go back in time and remember that Jesse Jackson actually carried a state in a Democratic primary. I am not sure what is worse, Jesse Jackson winning, or Jesse Ventura.

There should be an IQ test taken before going into a voting booth.

Is the presumption today that Obama is the right man for the job, who happens to be black, or the first black man palletable enough to be considered?

No doubt, with an overwhelming House and Senate (is 60 possible with the untimely death of the Senator from Pa?), a chance of nominating three Supreme Court Justices, and a clear mandate, he is poised to effect more "change" in four years than any other President in my lifetime.