Saturday, April 26, 2008

HOOSIERS GETTING A FULL COURT PRESS

During a rally at Indiana University's Assembly Hall, Clinton said Sen. Barack Obama, her Democratic rival for the White House, voted for the energy bill put together by Vice President Dick Cheney that gave millions in tax breaks to oil companies. Actions, she said, trump words.
"When it came time to stand up against the oil companies, against Dick Cheney's energy bill, my opponent voted for it and I voted against it," Clinton said. "It was the best bill the energy companies could buy."
Her remarks came a few hours after Obama stood at an Indianapolis gas station and blamed Washington insiders for failing to deliver on fuel efficiency standards that could lead to energy independence and lower prices, namely McCain and Senator Clinton.
Clinton also took issue with Obama's ads about not taking money from oil companies. She charged that he took more money from oil company executives than any other candidate last month.
A new Indianapolis Star poll has found that the Democratic contest is nearly a dead heat, with about 21 percent of Hoosiers undecided.
Sen. Barack Obama sat and talked about his rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. He called her smart, capable and "obviously a tenacious campaigner." He said they do not have huge policy differences. But then he made the point he hopes will carry him to victory in the Indiana primary May 6 -- the point he has been making for months. "I think I have a better chance of bringing the country together, to solve problems and to govern, than she does," he said. ". . . Part of the attraction, I think, of our campaign has been our ability to get past some of these old arguments. Now, sometimes I've been getting pulled back in."
"I was raised in a setting with my grandparents who grew up in small-town Kansas, where the dinner table would have been very familiar to anybody here in Indiana -- a lot of pot roasts and potatoes and Jell-O molds," he said. Obama said he "doesn't want to go out of my way to sort of prove my street cred as a down-to-earth guy." He laughed about his image being anything "elitist."
"I basically buy five of the same suit, and then I patch them up and I wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes," he said. "Recently, I've taken to getting a haircut more frequently than I used to because my mother-in-law makes fun of me."

No comments: