Thursday, May 3, 2007

THE GOP TAKES THEIR TURN


The Republicans took their debating turn tonight, with Chris Matthews reining herd on the all too full stage (like last weeks Democratic debate). Every one got in their sound bytes and their pre-programmed responses to all too obvious questions, and the two hour spectacle was over without any major, campaign ending faux pas.
An immediate MSNBC Internet poll, with over 11,000 responders and counting) showed a surprising across the board support for Mitt Romney, of all people. He was what he is, youthful and articulate. He does garner support as the unwitting victim of religious bias. And believe me, they didn't shy away from the topic either.
John Mc Cain was a shell of his former self, the strong willed American hero who calls them like he sees them, a fierce independent who has reached across the aisle on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, he appears to be afraid of losing. His remarks were stump speeches, too pre-programmed with the passion seemingly forced.
Now anyone who has read more than an inch of copy from this blog knows, I share almost no commonality with any of these candidates, and frankly like on the Democratic side, I have no idea why some of these people are wasting money in an all too vain hope of election. No chance. Some of them tonight were merely filling out their resumes before the inevitable withdrawal.
But, I can recognize someone of seeming character, integrity and value. Someone who exudes a certain leadership value. And although I would have to be hogtied and threatened with a very painful death unless I voted conservative to do so, without Fred Thompson in the field, I would give the nod to Sam Brownback. I would do some research of course. There are some who call this man an absolute nut job, but I liked him. Hated some of his positions, but he looked you in the eye and answered in a straightforward, candid way. Not rehearsed (or seemingly) and genuine. Strong and opinionated, and unwilling to criticize the others on the stage. Take it for what it is worth, on a very shallow surface level, I like this guy. he intrigues me. The Abramhoff money not withstanding, I think he deserves a look see. And that is the World According to Kimba. A very liberal world indeed.

No comments: