Sunday, December 2, 2007

ROMNEY TO ADDRESS RELIGION ONCE ... AND FOR ALL?

Statement from Kevin Madden, Romney for President campaign spokesman:
“Governor Romney has made a decision to deliver a speech titled
“Faith in America.”

“The governor has been invited to The George Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas to deliver this address on Thursday, December 6. “This speech is an opportunity for Governor Romney to share his views on religious liberty, the grand tradition religious tolerance has played in the progress of our nation and how the governor’s own faith would inform his Presidency if he were elected. “Governor Romney understands that faith is an important issue to many Americans, and he personally feels this moment is the right moment for him to share his views with the nation.”
“While identifying a venue for this address, the campaign consulted with President George H.W. Bush’s office last week about Governor Romney’s decision. President Bush was gracious enough to extend an invitation to deliver the speech at the presidential library. “The invitation to speak at the presidential library is not an endorsement of Governor Romney’s campaign.

-Kevin Madden, Romney for President campaign spokesman

3 comments:

Papa Giorgio said...

The speech was excellent! He is definitely the candidate is closest in ability to give Reaganesque speeches.

The speech can be found here:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007/12/romneys_faith_in_america_speec.html?hpid=topnews

One commentator made a point that resonated with me. He mentioned that a few of the early presidents and founders were Unitarians. they would be almost as heretical as a Mormon, in my mind's eye at least. I am mulling that over.

Much thought.

Kim said...

I agree. But, will the religious right agree? I see this coming down to Mitt and Mike. I caught the speech, and I think it could be the turning point, later in the primaries. Iowa, no chance. New Hampshire, OK. South Carolina, marginal chance at best. No one is running the Republican table.

By the way, Papa, if I see Romney's underwear one more time in your blog, I think I will puke!!! In fairness, your next post must show your drawers as well.

If he does get elected, during the swearing in ceremony, he should refrain from saying "So help me, me", instead of "So help me God."

Papa Giorgio said...

Ha, Ha! "So help me, me." Now that you bring that up, I wonder if he will swear using a "quad?" Hmmm.