Tuesday, September 2, 2008

NO APOLOGIES, I AM A LIBERAL

I am a liberal.
I make no apologies about it, although over the last 8 years, I certainly get the idea I should. I have always had conservatives spout off the bromide, "If you are under 25, and aren't liberal, you don't have a heart. If you are over 25 and aren't a conservative, then you don't have a brain." Unconvincing logic, to say the least.
I am a liberal.
Liberals are for peace, through strength. Through diplomacy. Through intelligence, not a half cocked, no plan, personal agenda at what ever the cost. I know it was about the oil, so....where is it? We should be wading in oil by now. I know it wasn't about Hussein, there are plenty of dictators worse than him you could topple.
I am a liberal.
Liberals are for helping others. I just don't mind, I like it. I like that my money goes to social programs. I would like to think my tax dollars go to house a homeless person, and feed someones family, or help them get into college. I like knowing S-chip helps families get their kids the health insurance they need, and can't afford.
I am a liberal.
Liberals think there is a nobility in helping others. Does it make the recipients of the financial help weak? They probably already are, I guess, but let them join the club. We all are weak in a way...we all have faced disfortune in some manner or another. We have all needed help at some time or another. I wish I could remember the biblical quote...something like "he who does for the lesser of these, does unto me," or something like that.
That is what it means to be liberal.
I heard Ron Paul today say he voted against Katrina funds because why should the government step into a situation involving people who voluntarily lived in that area prone to flooding and hurricanes? Why reward them? That is what it means to be a conservative. No social programs, no charity, smaller government, cut spending, blah, blah, blah. Give them half a chance and they will out spend a hundred drunken sailors.
I am a liberal.
Liberals know there are people out there desperately in need. The government has to help them. They are Americans for God sakes...or does that mean anything to you?
Conservatives talk all day long about terrorism, radical Islam and illegal immigration, but the only ones they really talk about keeping out are Mexicans. Bigotry at its finest. You see the liberals encompass every race, every creed, and every color. We are the party of the people. All the people, even the ones who need help.
I am a liberal.
Don't worry, we won't spend as much as you morons have over the last seven years. But we will take back the tax cuts for the rich and redistribute the money, you just won't like who we spend it on.
You'll spend billions killing people, but cry like babies over the millions we want to spend on a social program. You will carpet bomb any country in your way (or not) regardless of the "collateral damage," but stoically defend the "life" of a fertilized egg.
I am a liberal.............. with no apologies whatsoever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Thank You!!

I am with you!!
Dave L.